Easter at Chamberlain
- Event Type: Small community event
- Description: Unticketed outdoor one-day community event
- Size: 2,000 visitors
- Location: Chamberlain Park Golf Course, Mt Albert
- Waste Separation: Recyclables, compostables, and rubbish
- Performance: Approximately 65% of event waste was either recycled or composted
and therefore diverted from landfill.
How we did:
1 Reduce incoming waste
We asked vendors to sell food in compostable packaging only, and they all agreed to do this.
2 Choose the right bin
It was difficult to predict just how much waste, and what types, there would be – so the we ensured there was extra space, just in case.
3 Let people know
Volunteers monitored each waste stations. Vendors and event visitors were happy to do as required based on the information provided to them.
4 Capture feedback
In the first year the event recycled or composted about two thirds of the event waste. We will continue to adopt a zero waste approach for the event next year and aim for increased diversion.
Easter at Chamberlain, 80% Zero Waste
- Our main message is that recycling waste at events is easy!
- Both attendees and vendors were really keen to help as long as there was clear information about what to do.
- Allowing for plenty of bins and space for the collected material made sure everything was kept under control.
- Smaller community events are often held on a very tight budget
- Make sure you have the right number of community volunteers
- Weather can make numbers at outdoor events unpredictable
- Harder to communicate in advance with visitors without ticketing
- Lots of different groups can be involved, needing coordination
Recent Zero Waste Events
Wakatere Boating Club Regatta
Wakatere Boating Club is ensuring their events are as zero waste as possible.
Auckland Diwali Festival
Diwali Festival is an annual, free major cultural festival with stalls and live entertainment
A weekly community market selling fresh produce, second-hand clothing, and bric-a-brac
Avondale Christmas Market
Community Christmas food and stall Market at Avondale Community Centre, Avondale, Auckland
Brookby School Ag Day
Annual agricultural day for the school community with animal judging, food, stalls and entertainment. Led by the Brookby School environmental councillors.
Easter at Chamberlain
Small community unticketed outdoor one-day event at Chamberlain Park Golf Course, Mt Albert
Mangere East Xmas Festival
An annual community event for community organisations held close to Christmas with food, entertainment, sports and information stalls.
Ambury Farm Park Open Day
Annual, free, one day event open to the general public with food
available for purchase and music provided.
Splore is a three day camping festival focusing on live music, with food and drinks also available.
ASB Polyfest 2021
Checkout ASB Polyfest is the world’s largest Māori & Pacific Islands Festival