Mangere East Xmas Festival
- Event Type: Community led event
- Description: An annual community event for community organisations held close to
Christmas with food, entertainment, sports and information stalls.
- Size: Around 5000 attendees in November 2015
- Location: Several indoor and outdoor locations in Mangere East – Walter Massey
Park, Metro Hall and Mangere East village green.
- Waste Separation: Recyclables, organics, rubbish
- Performance: 80% diversion in 2016
How we did:
1 Reduce incoming waste
We asked vendors to use compostable packaging and advised them on how to source it.
2 Choose the right bin
Talking Rubbish made provisions for an increasing amount of recycling and composting, while still ensuring there were enough bins for reducing the amount of rubbish produced at the event.
3 Let people know
MC announcements were used during the event and bin stations were actively monitored by staff and/or volunteers.
4 Capture feedback
At the 2015 Christmas festival, 80% of waste was composted or recycled.
Mangere East Community Festival 2016, 80% Zero Waste
- Although vendors are encouraged to use compostable packaging, some vendors still choose to use an alternative that can’t be recycled or composted.
- Make the use of compostable packaging a requirement and/or find a way to incentivise vendors to do the right thing and use compostable packaging.
- Bin station monitors create success! Some people even opened up plastic bags of waste so that they could sort it on the spot.
- Events led by the community can get a lot of local support
- Can be challenging to get vendors to follow packaging rules
- Lots of different types of groups involved
Recent Zero Waste Events
Wakatere Boating Club Regatta
Wakatere Boating Club is ensuring their events are as zero waste as possible.
Auckland Diwali Festival
Diwali Festival is an annual, free major cultural festival with stalls and live entertainment
A weekly community market selling fresh produce, second-hand clothing, and bric-a-brac
Avondale Christmas Market
Community Christmas food and stall Market at Avondale Community Centre, Avondale, Auckland
Brookby School Ag Day
Annual agricultural day for the school community with animal judging, food, stalls and entertainment. Led by the Brookby School environmental councillors.
Easter at Chamberlain
Small community unticketed outdoor one-day event at Chamberlain Park Golf Course, Mt Albert
Mangere East Xmas Festival
An annual community event for community organisations held close to Christmas with food, entertainment, sports and information stalls.
Ambury Farm Park Open Day
Annual, free, one day event open to the general public with food
available for purchase and music provided.
Splore is a three day camping festival focusing on live music, with food and drinks also available.
ASB Polyfest 2021
Checkout ASB Polyfest is the world’s largest Māori & Pacific Islands Festival